Sunday, June 05, 2005

Book-tagged

I was book-tagged by my co-blogger Amit a few days ago, and here, dear reader, is a list of books for you. On my way I've also made a few variations to the template:

Total number of books I possess:

Probably between three and four thousand. As I was surveying my collection this morning in order to make an estimate of its size, I suddenly figured that some days, instead of going out to a bookshop to browse, I could just stay at home and leaf through my own collection, which includes - as it always should - hundreds of books that I haven't read and may not read for several years. I then proceeded to browse through my cupboards and came across several very interesting books that I'd forgotten all about.

Last book I bought

The Pursuit of Pleasure by the anthropologist Lionel Tiger (yes, what a name).

Last book I read

Amartya Sen's The Argumentative Indian, a book fizzing with ideas.

Five books I would not lend to a friend

Some of the books I prize most will already be familiar to you if you're been reading my posts over the last two months, so I shall disregard all of those and pick new ones.

The Odyssey by Homer
My Years with Apu by Satyajit Ray
Shakespeare on Love and Friendship by Allan Bloom
The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz
Closely Observed Trains by Bohumil Hrabal


A book I want to possess

The Sarvadarsanasamgraha (Collection of All Philosophies) by the fourteenth-century author Madhava Acharya. This book is cited by Sen in The Argumentative Indian.

A book I couldn't finish

Ian McEwan's Atonement.

And these are the people I choose to book-tag:

My colleague Rahul Bhatia at Cricinfo
Bem
The Transparent Ironist

No comments: